30-Minute Tips & Timesavers - Query 201 and Query Lists 1890
30-Minute Tips & Timesavers - Query 201 and Query Lists
Learn everything there is to know about queries and query lists in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge™ database view. In this session, we’ll also cover applications such as birthday and credit card expiry reporting.

Register here >>
Date & Time
Wednesday February 21st, 2018 1:00pm EST
End Date & Time
Wednesday February 21st, 2018 1:30pm EST

Event Comments

1 Comments
Here is a list of all the unanswered questions from today's 30-Minute Tips & Timesavers, along with my responses:

Just to clarify, my saved queries will transition from RE7 to NXT?

Chris>> You can start a new list in Raiser’s Edge NXT from a static query in the Database View of Raiser’s Edge NXT.

When you say "Archive Queries" do you mean delete? Or place in a folder called "Archived"?

Chris>> Either of these is acceptable.

Is "Last run" for you as the user, or for the query? I have seen queries deleted by one user that were being used by another user daily.

Chris>> Last run is the date a query was last executed in Raiser’s Edge, regardless of the user who executed the query.

Is there an easy way to move multiple queries?

Chris>> Unfortunately not. You’ll need to move one query at a time. I recommend dragging and dropping between categories/folders.

How often should you clean out queries?

Chris>> 1-2x per year is fine.

Could you address how to build a query that shows 10 years of consecutive giving?

Chris>> I’d recommend using the Consecutive Giving report. However you can achieve this using query as well. In order to do this, you’ll need to add criteria for each year of giving for the last 10 years (you can use summary fields or standard gift fields). String all of these criteria together with “AND” operators.

As in reports, can you export query criterion easily?

Chris>> In a query, click “File” then “Properties”, then “Preview”. This will create a Query Control Report.

So would you suggest the query option for solicit code exceptions because otherwise I have to add each of the exception criteria to each of the "or" criteria options.

Chris>> Solicit code exceptions is a good example of merging queries, or stringing queries together (in Query Options).

Can't you use segments in quick letters to combine multiple queries together which will create a static query?

Chris>> Yes, this is another tool we didn’t talk about today.

Can you query when someone was added to the database?

Chris>> Yes, you’ll see “Date Added” and “Added By” fields within each type of record. You can query on this.

Not a question but I can add this tip: Start with an RE report and use the output option to be sure you have the correct donors with the correct amounts and your selected constituent codes. Then use a new query with the output query to filter with the other criteria.

Chris>> Thanks Gail for this tip!

Will we ever be able to start with a dynamic query? NXT filters don't always give us the info we need.

Chris>> As far as I know you can only start with a static query (from the Database View) in Raiser’s Edge NXT.

Is it possible to move a query list to the database view and edit it there (in case one needs to query something not available in the web view) and move it back again to the web view?

Chris>> Yes, you can save a list in Raiser’s Edge NXT (web view) as a static query or a query list, so you can use it in the Database View of Raiser’s Edge NXT.

I can't find Primary Addressee in NXT lists. Is that a field that can be added?

Chris>> It’s not a field that can be added right now, but look for it in the future. And you can always add this as a suggestion in the Idea Bank (https://www.blackbaud.com/nonprofit-resources/idea-banks.aspx).

Share:

Event Attendees

Going
Interested
Invited