30-Minute Tips & Timesavers - Using Import to Aid Data Cleanup 1899
30-Minute Tips & Timesavers - Using Import to Aid Data Cleanup
Clean your data up with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge™. In this session, we’ll demonstrate how you can use the standard import tools in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge to export data, clean it, and import it back in.

Register here >>
Date & Time
Wednesday November 21st, 2018 1:00pm EST
End Date & Time
Wednesday November 21st, 2018 1:30pm EST

Event Comments

1 Comments
Thanks to those who submitted tips! I’m combining them here:
Tip: You can export the list of addressees and salutations in Configuration, and then you have the ID.
Tip: To get the title numbers run an add/sal report by right-clicking in the config screen!
Tip: If you go to config and open address/salutations and preview the report it will show you the codes.

What if i want to keep the duplicate and merge it later?
Chris>> If the Import utility in Raiser’s Edge creates a new record (because it doesn’t have the same Import ID or Constituent ID, etc.), it may be a duplicate record. This duplicate record can be merged/cleaned up at a later time.

How about two education relationship? because it says the fields are duplicate
Chris>> When importing one-to-many records, such as relationships, attributes, etc. please pay special attention to the “Extension” field on the “Fields” tab (the third one).

I'm having trouble finding all the addressee and salutation formats for my clean up.  How do I clean up non-constituents? using import export?
Chris>> Addressee and salutation fields exist in many places in the database. This is a list of places to check (noting it may not be an exhaustive list): constituent records, individual relationships (including spouse), mail merge templates, queries that use the Addressee/Salutation field in it.

Has anyone used ImportOmatic and is there a difference with RE's import function?
Chris>> Please refer to Omatic’s website for more information. We talked about some of the basic differences in today’s webinar. Please watch the recording.

I use both database and NXT.  I was told by BB Support that if I ever need to restore the database view, that I would lose any changes to NXT specific information resetting NXT back to it's initial "out of the box" configuration and data.  Is that true?    I know that we're always told to do a backup before doing an import. If the above is true then the restore is an absolutely last resort as I'll lose lots of data, saved lists, etc.  on the NXT side.  Is there a way to backup the NXT data at the same time so it can be restored as well? 
Chris>> True statement. Restoring a backup means doing some reconfiguration on the NXT web view.

Is there a recommended number of addressee/salutations to have active/available in our database? We have A LOT.
Chris>> There’s no absolutely best practice number, but remember the more options your staff need to scroll through the greater the chance they won’t select the best one.

What are the pros and cons for joint or individual primary?
Chris>> the addressee/salutation automatically updates if you use a joint one. Absolutely no right or wrong way to implement here.

If you just enter the salutation id number in the import file, will it fill in the correct salutation once you import it back to RE?
Chris>> Yes it should, but test this out on your database.

How do you import the excel file back on a hosted version of RE?
How do you import back in in a hosted version of RE?
Chris>> You use your FTP folder.

I need to blank out some table entries on over 1000 records. Can you step thru the process and which Options to click on?
Chris>> You’d be better off to see if you can isolate these 1,000 records and do a global change. Sometimes you can global change to a blank value. Failing this, you can work with Blackbaud’s Professional Services to create a script to delete the value in these 1,000 records (billable work, so you may the call whether it’s worth it).

How do you find the import ID?
Chris>> In Import the “Import ID” field is found in pretty much every list of fields (for every record). In the record, you would find the “Import ID” field in File > Properties.

If you import new primary addresses, how do you tell Import to keep the old primary address as "previous"?
Chris>> To effectively archive addresses during import you would change the “Address Type” field to “Previous” (or whatever value you use in your database) and uncheck the “Preferred Address”, then import a new address using a new Address Import ID field, and marked it as the preferred address.

If I wanted to update constituency codes but I don't want to import as many as there were, how do I get it to remove the ones I don't want?
Chris>> Removing constituent codes isn’t something that’s easy to do using global functions, or import. These either need to be deleted manually, or changed to another value (this CAN be done using global functions, or import). Failing this, you can work with Blackbaud’s Professional Services to create a script to delete the value in these 1,000 records (billable work, so you may the call whether it’s worth it).

Can we access your slides here in blackbaud community event page?
Chris>> Please view the recording of this webinar using the registration link: http://bit.ly/BlackbaudTnT. There are only 5 slides to this webinar, and the rest is live demo.

30 minutes is too short for a complex topic!
Chris>> 30 minutes to show one concept in import is sufficient time for this topic. This webinar provides fast-paced tips and tricks. I provided some primer information to set the stage for this concept. Note: Blackbaud offers additional resources and training on importing.

Share:

Event Attendees

Going
Interested
Invited