Interactive Webinar - Database Management and Cleanup 1585
Interactive Webinar - Database Management and Cleanup
Featured Speakers: Chris Geady and Michelle Jenkins
Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. ET

We’re bringing back one of our most popular 2016 sessions to give you access to common tips and timesavers for cleaning up your Raiser’s Edge database in time for the new year. Discover the most efficient ways to get rid of duplicate, incomplete, and outdated data using tools like code tables, global changes, queries, and more.

Register here >>
Date & Time
Wednesday December 20th, 2017 1:00pm EST
End Date & Time
Wednesday December 20th, 2017 1:30pm EST

Event Comments

1 Comments
Thank you to everyone who attended this webinar! As promised, here is a list of the questions that were not addressed in the webinar today.

Want to know where a code table is used in Raiser’s Edge? Check out the Configuration & Security Guide at https://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/guides/re7ent/config.pdf, specifically pages 26-50. If for some reason the PDF don’t load, search for the Configuration & Security Guide on the Knowledgebase.

Thanks for these awesome tips!

1. From Cheryl: We put our most used addressee at the top and then add in a few "fake entries" with dashes to separate them from the rest of the preset options that came with the system.

2. From Sharia: When I get two constituent codes (add/replace), we could query the codes and use date range (greater/less than X date) to keep the one that is best.

3. From Jenifer: If you have a ton of addressee/salutations that are not being used currently and you don't have time to find them to change them all out add the hyphen in front of the configuration so you can see right away that is a bad selection. I found this useful until I can clean-up the table.

And on with the Q&A:

Raiser’s Edge patch is available in January for TLS 1.1? Their email indicated any version of RE 7.96 would do, or did I misread that?

Chris>> Yes, you’ll need to ensure you’re on Raiser’s Edge 7.96 patch 7.

If we are hosted by Blackbaud-do we need to do anything at all for the security update? We also use Online Express.

Chris>> Blackbaud will take care of all software patches for Blackbaud products. Please make sure your browser and Windows is up-to-date.

Can you show us how to change constituent codes without duplicating them? For example, if I have an annual donor who didn't give this year I'd change them to a lapsed constituents.

Chris>> This is addressed at length in the recording, available at https://hello.blackbaud.com/Tips-and-Timesavers-WebinarSeries.html. This is just a thought, but I typically don’t see a constituent code for lapsed vs. active donors. This can be determined dynamically using queries.

Are constituent code and attributes the same or do they serve different purposes?

Chris>> They serve different purposes typically. Both can be used to create segments in your database. Attributes are used to store information where there is no other field available.

I'm interested in changing solicit codes for groups of donors. How is this done?

Chris>> There are two ways to do this in Raiser’s Edge:
  1. Use global change. This way is useful if you have a group of constituents you want to add/change the same
  2. Use the Import utility. This way is useful to export, manipulate, then import the data back into Raiser’s Edge.
If you export a record with the import ID to archive the data (eg. deleting an attribute) and later merge the records, are there any tricks to make sure you can map it back in later if you need to?
What are the fields needed to export to excel so I can make sure I can import changes back in?

Chris>> Make sure to have the ImportID for the field (example: ImportID for an address, relationship, attribute, etc.) + the ImportID for the main constituent record. You’ll need both. Also, using the standard Import tool in Raiser’s Edge, you can only import certain fields at one time.

I can't see the results of the duplicate merge report. What should i do?

Chris>> You should create a Support case so they can properly diagnose it.

I've tried to clean up constituent codes, attributes, etc. but it won't let me delete any of the old ones because they're "in use in one or more records." Any way to get around that?

Chris>> This is how Raiser’s Edge is designed, so no way to get around that. As a workaround, you can mark certain codes inactive, or rename them.

Re-order the Constituency Codes for each record? I see plugin but no documentation on how it works

Chris>> You should check in with Support to see if they have any documentation, or can offer any assistance.

How do you globally delete ONE instance on a solicitor on a group of records?

Chris>> I don’t know of any global functions to achieve this in Raiser’s Edge. You can delete manually, or if you have a lot (as in hundreds or thousands) you can approach Blackbaud to write a SQL script to perform this work.

What is the hierarchy for constituent codes in reporting?

Chris>> Some reports give you the option of using the constituent code in the gift record vs. the constituent record.

Can you please explain why the addressee/salutation fields won't auto populate when I create a constituent batch?

Chris>> This is by design. You can’t assign default values for addressee/salutation fields in constituent batch in Raiser’s Edge.

Does hiding fields in Raiser’s Edge 7 (ie. the database view of Raiser’s Edge NXT) hide in RE NXT (web view) as well?

Chris>> Unfortunately not. The web view has its own settings.

We find it difficult to delete certain Addressee and Salutation records. How can we only keep the ones that we use, and get rid of the other ones?

Chris>> All addressees/salutations have ID numbers. You can export them out of Raiser’s Edge (along with the Import ID for the constituent record too), and change the ID numbers to the addressee/salutation you want to use, then import it back in. Admittedly it’s a bit of a guessing game to figure out the ID numbers for the addressees/salutations, but it’s worth the work in the end.

Our conversion team recommended that we don't use formulas for addressees/salutations, but now any record without a spouse has a formula for the addressee/salutation and any record with a spouse does not. What can I do to have all of my records be one or the other?

Chris>> There may have been some issue that would’ve caused the data conversion team to make this recommendation. This is very likely a data-conversion specific recommendation, and is likely doesn’t need to be enforced any longer. I don’t know any of the history, but it’s worth you looking into further. And if you can move ahead, just change the addressees/salutations in Raiser’s Edge.

Once a field is hidden, it’s out of sight / out of mind. Would be great if one could gray it out instead.

Chris>> Good suggestion. You should add that to the Idea Bank (https://www.blackbaud.com/nonprofit-resources/idea-banks.aspx)

Is it possible to encrypt the Social security number in RE?

Chris>> Raiser’s Edge 7.81 (and higher) uses AES encryption (128-bit) to encrypt credit card numbers, social insurance/security numbers, and bank and insurance policy numbers. More info: https://kb.blackbaud.com/articles/Article/42110

Can you point me in the right direction of how to produce consolidated receipts for recurring gifts?

Chris>>  Start here: https://kb.blackbaud.com/articles/Article/41583

Share:

Event Attendees

Going
Interested
Invited